Friday, November 12, 2010

Green for Profit

So another of our national chains has hopped on board the "Do you want to BUY a bag to carry out your groceries?" bandwagon. The chains all seem to have one thing in common - they have turned an expense item into a profit item by pulling the wool over everyones eyes.

I think most people agree that plastic grocery bags were a blight on the landscape ... blowing down the street, stuck against fences or in trees. The national chains had an opportunity to change to bio-degradeable plastic or even paper, but instead took the opportunity to make carryout bags a profit item. Its interesting that they only do this where they can get away with it. Its also interesting that they want you to buy more and then pay them more for the privilege.

However apparently their commitment to "green" only extends as far as the locals will tolerate it. In several Canadian Provinces, they have reversed that decision and now provide free bags. All it took was a decrease in business.

I for one shop at a small local market that provides bags. If I have to shop in a national chain store, I either take a bag in (if I have one) and only buy what will fit in that bag, or if I am without a bag I only buy what I can carry in my arms or what will fit in my pockets.

I wish there were more people that would grow a pair and let these mega-chains know we actually understand their motives.

No comments: