Saturday, May 21, 2011

Saturday Morning Wine Ramblings

For me a wine review should be simple and give me the answer to some basic questions:
1. Do I like this wine?
2. Is this wine affordable for ME?
3. Where can I get it?
4. Is this a "hidden gem" or a waste of money?

I love wine and try to answer these questions but realize in some cases the answers presented here are answered by omission - or missed. Sorry about that. I have probably been drinking. ;-)

A lot of wine "critics" have advanced palates and like to drone on and on about "elusive hints of x" (insert obscure SE Asian herb for x) and the like, but I like to think that I have a normal palate and that the majority of us have similar tastes.

I rarely sample wines at a winery. Standing at a tasting bar trying to take notes seems a bit elitist and contrary to the impression I want to make. Typically I purchase 2 bottles to sample off premises and dont write the review until I have finished the first bottle and tasted and sometimes well into sampling the second.

I try to be fair to the winery with the recommendation. After all they have put their blood sweat and tears into their product and are competing with thousands of other wineries. I try to meet the winemaker whenever I can, just to feel the love for the product. I have met introverts and extroverts, farmers and bankers, but I can state that 99.99% of the time they are as passionate about their latest crop/product as they were the day the started their first.

No comments: