Friday, March 16, 2012

Calona 2010 Opal Sovereign


I'm not a huge fan of white wines.  I love big bold red's, but there are times when I feel like a nice white sipping wine and one of those times is when I go out for Indian food.  You would think that a red would be the wine of choice for Indian food, but I prefer a white.

The first time I had Sovereign Opal was about a month ago, I had never heard of this wine before.  We were out for Indian food and I ordered a white, which was unavailable so the waiter recommended the Sovereign Opal, a VQA wine from the Calona Vineyards in the Okanagan Valley and is a hybrid grape.
The minute you smell this wine you just know it is going to be amazing.  I don't like my white wines to be tart and I don't like them to be too sweet either, and this wine was the perfect balance, medium-bodied with tropical fruits.  I fell in love with this wine so much, that when I got home I ordered 2 cases directly from the Vineyard.  At $12.99 a bottle,  this is a great buy and sure to improve with more time in the bottle.
I loved this wine so much I had to send Jim a bottle to get his opinion.

What did you think of this wine Jim?

Pairing: Indian food, cheese and crackers and is great as a lazy Sunday afternoon sitting on the porch sipping wine.

Recommendation: BUY

1 comment:

Jim said...

Excellent wine. The whites from the Okanagan are world class