Monday, August 21, 2006

Black Hills Estate Winery 2003 Nota Bene

Having moved to beautiful Vancouver, BC a year and a half ago, I was excited to start tasting what BC had to offer. On this particular Fri. night I ordered Black Hills Estate Winery's, 2003 Nota Bene to go with the tapas I was having. I had never heard of this wine and had no idea what to expect. With the first sniff I was blown away by the aroma of plums, black cherries and just a hint of earthy tobacco. It is dry, round and oh so smooth on entry with supple tannins. Spicy, peppery, vanilla, tobacco leaf and licorice flavors, balanced with a long plush finish. I was hooked from that moment on. This Bordeaux style wine is made of 46/34/20 Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc and has a cult like following. I can see why. Good luck in finding any. BC was sold out by the time I discovered this little jewel. I purchased the last 20 bottles from my favorite little wine store in Banff, AB last November. Another couple of years and this wine should really bloom with fruit tones.

No comments: